Sting agrees that Lorde should have taken his Grammy Awards slot

John P. Filo/CBS

Add Sting to the list of people who doesn’t think he should have been quite so prominent at the Grammys.

Following the Grammy Awards last month, many fans cried foul that Lorde wasn’t offered a solo performance slot, given that she was nominated for Album of the Year — and the only woman nominated in the category, at that.

Fans also complained that while Lorde was snubbed, Sting was omnipresent during the telecast: He appeared in a comedy sketch, presented an award, and performed his decades-old hit “Englishman in New York” as well as his new duet with Shaggy, “Don’t Make Me Wait.”

In an interview with the Canadian Press published in the Montreal Gazette, Sting says if he had known that Lorde hadn’t been given the opportunity to perform, he would have stepped aside.

“That really surprised me, that an artist who was up for [album] of the year didn’t get a slot and I can’t quite understand why that would have happened, but of course we didn’t know that,” Sting explains. “If she’d told us that, we would have said, ‘Please take our spot, we don’t need it.’”

In his defense, Sting said he and Shaggy “didn’t have much to do with” the amount of screen time they got, either.

“They just threw us on there,” he explained. “We were happy with the real estate. It was fun.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

SHARE

RELATED CONTENT

Graphic novel based on The Beatles’ 1968 film “Yellow Submarine” due out in August Founding Yes member Tony Kaye honored to take part in band’s 50th anniversary trek Watch now: The Rolling Stones premiere “Ruby Tuesday” lyrics video as band prepares to launch UK trek Doobie Brothers have begun recording new music; ex-Allman Brothers Band member joins touring lineup Can you “believe” it? Ex-Journey singer Steve Perry makes surprise appearance on American Idol finale Def Leppard and Journey kick off expansive co-headlining tour tonight
Comments