Sushi safety is easy, but nonetheless, if this could happen in Fresno, could it happen here? A medical professional who has a daily habit of enjoying wild salmon sushi (sashimi), got a rude awakening. He removed a 5 and a half foot tapeworm from himself! He’s fine now, after some discomfort. ‘Hard to believe that tapeworms were once prescribed in the U.S. for weight loss!
It’s possible to ingest a tiny tapeworm from raw meat. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported in 2017 that it had been detected in some wild salmon caught along the U.S. and Asian Pacific coasts.
How to stay safe: Since freezing kills parasites, the FDA requires that all raw fish be frozen before it can be served anywhere in the U.S.